Pepper Chicken Roast is a quick recipe with a delicious outcome. The recipe is from my MIL and is one of her specials. The taste of pepper together with the tanginess of lemon juice gives this dish a kind of unique taste. So for people who are looking out for a different chicken recipe, this is definitely worth a try.
|Onion||- 1 (around 3/4 lb) (Sliced)|
|Ginger Garlic Paste||- 4 tbsp|
|Green Chilly||- 2 (chopped)|
|Tomato||- 1 (around 1/4 lb) (Cut into small cubes)|
|Capsicum||- 1 (around 1/4 lb) (Cut into small cubes)|
|Turmeric Powder||- 1/4 tsp|
|Chilly Powder||- 1 tsp|
|Coriander Powder||- 1 tsp|
|Fennel Powder||- 1/2 tsp|
|Pepper Powder||- 1 1/2 tsp (according to your spice level)|
|Lemon Juice||- 2 tbsp|
|Salt||- to taste|
|Chicken||- 1 1/4 lbs (Cut into small pieces)|
|Oil||- 4 tbsp|
1. In a bowl, mix all the above ingredients together except oil and mix well.
2. Keep the bowl with all the ingredients mixed well to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
3. Heat oil in a non-stick pan. I used Coconut oil as it gives a unique flavor to the dish.
4. Pick the Chicken alone from the mixed ingredients kept for marination.
5. Shallow fry the chicken in the heated oil until it is slight brown in color.
6. Remove the chicken from oil. In the same oil add the remaining mixture of onions, ginger garlic paste, tomato, capsicum and the other powders. You could add extra oil, if needed. Keeping the tidbits from frying the chicken in the oil enhances the taste and color of the dish.
7. Once the onion is completely translucent, add the fried chicken and mix well for a minute or two. Adjust the salt, if needed
8. Turn off the stove and close the pan and let it rest for 5 minutes.
The dish is a perfect accompaniment for most of the breads that you can think of as well as for any rice preparation.