Thursday, January 13, 2011

Chicken Puffs

Let me start off by saying a "Happy New Year" to all my friends out there! Hope you all had a fantastic start.  Before I get on to the recipe, let me tell you about one of the most exciting recognition that I received end of December. My Kinnathappam recipe was selected as one of "The 30 Best Recipes of 2010" at a contest conducted by Chacko’s Kitchen. So not to mention that I have had a fantastic start for 2011!

So I will start off this year's post with an appetizer - Chicken Puffs. Something I have missed a lot after coming to US. Back home, this used to be one of the favorite snack for tea, and we used to have it at least once a week. But we never made this home. I would run to our nearby bakery - Anjali Bakery - one of the popular ones in the Trivandrum area to get the fresh baked hot puffs just out of the oven. They were in huge demand that you have to get them by 2pm or they would be gone. It was a blessing when I discovered the puff pastry sheets in the grocery stores in US. So here is what I do to recreate the taste and memories back home of the fresh hot puffs from Anjali Bakery.



Makes 12-15 Puffs

Oil- 2 tbsp
Onion- 1 small (0.65 lbs)
Ginger Garlic Paste- 1 tbsp
Turmeric Powder- 1/2 tsp
Chilly Powder- 2 tsp
Garam Masala- 1 tsp
Chicken- 0.45 lbs (cooked & shredded)
Pepper Powder- 1/2 tsp (coarsely crushed)
Puff Pastry Sheets- 2 or 2 1/2 sheets
Egg White- from 1 egg
Salt- to taste


  1. Add oil in a pan and add and saute onions when the oil is hot.
  2. When the onion turns translucent, add the ginger garlic paste and saute until the raw smell is gone.
  3. Add turmeric powder, chilly powder and garam masala to this and saute for a minute or two.
  4. Add the shredded chicken to this and mix until well combined. I used a 12.5oz can of chicken chunks. 
  5. Add the coarsely crushed pepper and salt and mix well for 5-10 minutes in a medium flame. 
  6. Turn off the stove and let the mixture cool.
  7. Thaw the Puff Pastry Sheets as instructed in the packaging.
  8. Cut the thawed puff pastry sheets into the required shape. I made 6 puffs from one sheet as you can see from the picture. A packet has 2 sheets.
  9. Fill each puff with 1 1/2 to 2 tbsp of the chicken mixture.
  10. Line the sides of the pastry with water using your hands and seal the puffs with the filling. The water will help it stick well together.
  11. Once all the puffs are done, beat the egg whites and brush the top of all the puffs with a light coat of egg whites. This will give the puffs a glazed look.
  12. Arrange the Puffs in a baking tray lined with a parchment paper or greased with butter/oil.
  13. Preheat the oven at 400 degree F and bake the puffs for 20 minutes or until they are slightly brown.


This recipe will make 12-15 puffs depending on how much filling you put into each puffs. You could replace the chicken with veggies or beef to make a variation. Serve the puffs with ketchup or on its own with tea. It will definitely be a perfect appetizer for parties!

39 comments:

  1. This is our favourite snack, looks very yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite, spicy and yummy snack,drool

    ReplyDelete
  3. Puffs adipoli, njan undakkum koode koode.

    ReplyDelete
  4. fathima,
    I have your blog listed as the one among 2 i really follow.. great recipes here

    ammaandbaby.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow almost everyone fav ..looks so delish and omh my i am tempted now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW!! Tempting puffs..Love the clicks..We have it in our drafts too, will post it soon..

    ReplyDelete
  7. my school time favo snack.. I used to spend my pocket money in them.. thnx for sharing.. will try this soon! nice clicks..

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow..puffs looks so delicious and crispy..superb...loved it..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Fatima
    How are you? Happy New Year to you.
    Very nice filling. I still dont know from where to get the pastry sheets, so I buy puffs and eat.
    The filling looks so tasty, I am going to make it and eat as such.
    Have a nice weekend

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is our favorite snack, looks very yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so hungry right now that I feel like putting my hand through this screen and grabbing as many as chicken puffs from U!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats Fathima! Puffs are so inviting..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooh yum. These look wonderful. One of my friends made these puffs vegetarian-style (with similar spices as what you've used) and that was good too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely delicious looking puffs.Mouthwatering.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Damn tempting puffs, sooo delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  16. I too make it more or less the same way...it really turns out very tasty....yours look too perfect...

    ReplyDelete
  17. very flaky and crispy puffs.....nice picture...

    ReplyDelete
  18. First time here....

    U have a wonderful space...
    nice to follow u.

    Check my space when u find time :)

    ArunaManikandan
    http://ensamayalkuripugal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Can I get a bite of the golden crispy puffs? Wish I could make them at home, sadly puff pastry is not available here in Mumbai :-(

    ReplyDelete
  20. that looks so good loved ur version of filling :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. These look delicious! Great post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fathima, these look wonderful. This is my first visit to your blog and I liked this recipe so much that I browsed through some of your earlier entries. I really like the food and recipes you feature here. I'll be back often. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am screaming right now, Puffs puffs puffs...I am a huge fan of this (well who wouldn't be). I make this often and I never get tired of these. A perfect evening snack!

    ReplyDelete
  24. lovely for chicken lovers..I make with veggies !

    ReplyDelete
  25. hmmmmmmm..... very nice dish dear...

    Keep Visiting My Blog Thanx...
    Lyrics Mantra
    Music Bol

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thin avanulla book um thannu thadi vekkan ee recipeyum...njan ethu edukkum??

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love them..puff pastry sheets are my best pals ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. First visit here and I noticed the mention of Anjali bakers in Tvm..so I take it u stay in Manacaud.. Kinnathappam is a local favourite in that area too..Looking forward to going thru ur site..

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow....S.Kerala(may be the whole of kerala)is famous for this stuff....I used to have a lot of egg puffs and milk shakes frm the nearest bake house during my college days.....lol, gud old memories......! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great to know that "Kinnathappam' was selected as one of the best recipe.So, u shud be proud of ur traditions.....Turn back and give a Salute to T-code....!!
    I wonder whether u make the Awzum Oattadaa's and crispy chukkappams in U.S. I believe that the last said recipe's haven't been posted yet in ur blog.....!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Puffs are damn crispy and very much inviting. Nicely presented dear.

    Indian Recipe corner @
    http://indianyummykitchen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. This blog has a nice collection of recipies.
    1st time visitor and a follower too.
    Pls visit my blog, I am a new blogger.

    http://rakshaskitchen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. These were delicious.. Thanks for the recipe!
    Made them with phyllo pastry because didn't have puff pastry... Still turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I used greek yogurt with dill as a "dipping" sauce...they are awesome !

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails