Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Inji Curry/ Inji Puli

The first thing that comes to my mind when I think about Onam is Onasadya (the feast). If someone would make me sadya everyday, I would be glad to eat it on a daily basis. I love everything about the sadya, especially the Payasam round (dessert round). Another one of my sadya favorites is Inji Puli or Inji Curry. This is one of the sadya specialties that I never thought I would be able to make at home. For some reason, it always sounded complicated to me. Then I happened to see Sunitha's recipe for Inji Puli at Collaborative Curry and decided to try it out. It came out excellent. I have made very slight changes in the measurements according to my taste.


Ginger- 1 1/2 cup (thinly chopped)
Coconut Oil- 4 to 5 tbsp
Green Chilly- 9 (thinly chopped)
Red Chilly Powder- 1 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek Powder- 1/4 + 1/8 tsp
Turmeric Powder- 1/4 + 1/8 tsp
Asafoetida- 1/4 + 1/8 tsp
Tamarind Paste- 2 tbsp (used ready made pulp/concentrate)
Brown Sugar- 4 1/2  tbsp
Curry Leaves- 1 twig
Salt- 1 tsp
Water- 1 cup + 1 1/2 tbsp

1. Heat oil in a Pan and fry the chopped green chilly and ginger until slightly brown.
2. When slightly brown, take the ginger and green chilly out of the oil and let the oil drain.


3. Mix the Chilly Powder, turmeric powder, fenugreek powder and asafoetida with 1 1/2 tbsp of water.
4. In the left over oil (from frying ginger) in the pan, add the powder mix and curry leaves and keep stirring for 2 to 3 minutes in medium flame.
5. Add the tamarind paste also to the oil and mix well. You could also use normal tamarind. If using this adjust water accordingly.
6. Smash the fried Ginger-Chilly mix using a mortar and pestle a little.
7. Add this fried Ginger-Chilly mix to the pan and combine well.
8. Add the brown sugar, salt and water and let it cook and reduce to a thick consistency.


This could also be used as a pickle with Biryani or with a normal lunch. It will stay good for a couple of weeks even when not refrigerated.Thanks to Sunitha for the recipe!

29 comments:

  1. really delicious...luks very tempting...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats a mouthwatering curry and the second click is simply great :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummmm I can imagine how yummy this would taste with Biryani...
    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  4. yummy..mouth watering adipoli injipuli!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very new to me..looks interesting n delish..beautiful clicks!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really fathima, the 2nd pic is so so pretty and i love Puli inji..Loks perfect and yummm

    ReplyDelete
  7. Drooling here....looks too tempting...loved the snaps too.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. very new dish to me ...inji puli looks very tempting

    Satya
    http://www.superyummyrecipes.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks delicious, it's new to me though...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adipoli!! my all time fav..very tempting pic..

    ReplyDelete
  11. adipoli..thanks for trying out our recipe...glad that you liked it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this Inji puli very much. Its very delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't think I have ever had this. But I know I would love it coz of the ginger.

    My south Indian friend makes a dry powder kind of thing which is made of home dried ginger and some spices and tamarind which I totally love and have been asking her to get the recipe from her mom. Its dry and is used as a side to dishes. would you know what I'm talking about ?

    ReplyDelete
  14. yum yum..yum..absolutely fab recipe...very tempting Fathima..:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow...Its a completely new dish to me but looking at ingredients, it looks yummy!
    First time here...you have a ncie blog! Do visit me smtime.
    http:sinfullyspicy.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful and perfect.
    http://shanthisthaligai.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my this looks outrageously yummy!!!!.... Wud eat a bowl full with my curd rice!.

    ReplyDelete
  18. my fav..beautiful click...looks super yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow adipoli..really mouthwatering...kandittu sahikunilla.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have a weakness for puli inji and the recipe sounds good! Thanks for participating in DMBLGIT - Sept. edition.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails