Looks like I am becoming a hard core Ina Garten fan. This is another one of her recipes from the Barefoot Contessa book series "How easy is that?". Now what is the difference between banana cake and banana bread? The only thing I know of is that the banana bread is made in a loaf pan and the other one in a regular cake pan. If one of you has a better answer than that, let me know. This is a super moist 'n soft cake recipe and the taste reminds me of the unniyappams (a traditional fried snack made with rice flour, banana, etc). I have slightly altered the recipe to reduce the amount of sugar.
Makes a 9" Cake
|Very Ripe Bananas||- 3 (mashed)|
|Granulated Sugar||- 1/2 cup|
|Light Brown Sugar||- 1/2 cup (lightly packed)|
|Vegetable Oil||- 1/2 cup|
|Sour Cream||- 1/2 cup|
|Pure Vanilla Extract||- 1 tsp|
|Grated Orange zest||- from a small orange|
|All Purpose Flour||- 2 cups|
|Baking Soda||- 1 tsp|
|Salt||- 1/2 tsp|
|Coarsely chopped walnuts||- 1/2 cup|
- Using an electric mixer or blender, mix the mashed bananas, granulated sugar and brown sugar on a low speed until combined. The original recipe calls for 3/4 cup granulated sugar. So if you want it to be sweeter, you could add 3/4 cup.
- Add the oil, eggs, sour cream, vanilla essence and orange zest to the banana-sugar mixture and mix at low speed until smooth. If you do not have orange zest, you could avoid them.
- In a separate bowl, sift the flour, baking soda and salt to combine them well.
- Add the dry ingredients slowly to the wet ingredients in a slow speed and combine well.
- Stir in the chopped walnuts to the cake batter.
- Pour the batter into a greased 9" baking pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 50-55 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean. The heating time varies by the oven, so keep checking towards the last 10-15 minutes.
- Cool in the pan for 15 minutes and turn on to a cooling rack and cool completely.
You should also be able to bake it in a loaf pan or even make this into muffins. This is a perfect snack which has the goodness of bananas and the crunchiness of the walnuts. You could also make this cake without the walnuts, if you do not like them.