Chicken Stew is that special dish that goes well with Appam. All South Indian stews are cooked in coconut milk. So being a South Indian when I hear the word stew the first thing that stands out in my mind is coconut milk and its special rich flavor. It is also referred to as "Ishtu" in some regions of Kerala. The Stew could be made with Vegetables as well as with Chicken, Mutton or Beef. The one I have here is with Chicken.
Oil - 2 tbsp
Cinnamon - 2 - 1 inch pieces
Cloves - 7-8
Onion - 1 1/2
Chicken - 1 1/2 lb
Ginger Garlic paste - 1 1/2 tbsp
Tomato - 1
Green Chilly - 3
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
Coconut Milk - 1 cup thin & 1/2 cup thick
Curry Leaves - 1 twig
Salt - to taste
Water - 1/2 cup
1. Heat oil in a pan (I used Coconut oil to give it a complete traditional taste).
2. Add the Cinnamon and Cloves and saute for a few seconds; then add the thinly sliced Onions.
3. Saute the onions until they turn translucent.
4. Add Ginger Garlic paste and saute until the raw smell is gone
5. Add the slit green chillies and chopped tomatoes and saute for a minute.
6. Now add turmeric and salt to this and saute well.
7. Add Chicken and curry leaves and mix well.
8. Add water and thin coconut milk and let the chicken cook.
9. When the chicken is 3/4 done, add the thick coconut milk and cook it till the chicken is done.
This also goes well with Rice. Potato is a common ingredient in most stews as well. The version I have here, as you can see, is without potatoes. I somehow do not like the idea of adding potatoes to a non-vegetarian dish. Again it's just me; you could add those as well.
Now let me tell you about how excited I was this week - I got two awards and those too my first ones. Thanks Aparna (http://ladiesspecialadukkala.blogspot.com/) and Sarah (http://www.vazhayila.com/) for sharing theses awards with me. It is really inspiring and encouraging for a fresher like me!
Now rules for accepting the "Kreativ Blogger" Award from Aparna:
Rules for Accepting this Award
1) Thank the person giving the award
2) Copy the award to your blog
3) Place a link to their blog
4) Name 7 things people don't know about you
5) Nominate 7 bloggers
6) Place a link to those bloggers
7) Leave a comment letting those bloggers know about the award
7 things about me that you may not know :-)
1. I could spend hours in front of the TV doing nothing.
2. I love to listen to music, especially when I cook.
3. I believe in God and believe all that happens is for good.
4. I work at the IT department of a retail company and love my job.
5. I get things done sooner under pressure.
6. I miss my family back home in India.
7. I love sleeping.
Here is the award from Sarah:
I would like to share both these awards with the following friends:
1. Tina - http://www.kaipunyam.com/
2. Maria - http://www.mariasmenu.com/
5. Sushma - http://authenticfooddelights.blogspot.com/
6. Ria - http://riascollection.blogspot.com/
7. Priya - http://recipes-priya.blogspot.com/
Chamomile and Saffron Crème Caramel
12 hours ago