First let me Wish a Very Happy Twenty Ten to all my friends out there!
Mutta Appam is a quick and easy snack/breakfast. This is something I learnt from my MIL. She has a lot of such easy and quick fix dishes, most of which I have just eaten without wondering how it is made, when I used to live with R's family back in India. Now I have started calling her up for these easy dishes. So you could expect more of these kinds coming up soon... I guess these may have an origin from South Tamil Nadu, as she is from there...
For making Mutta Appam, you would need the following:
Rice Flour - 1 cup (flour used for Idiyappam - Roasted flour)
Egg - 2
Coconut - 3/4 cup (Grated)
Sugar - 2 - 3 tbsp
Salt - 1/4 tsp
Water - 1 1/4 cup
Small Onions - 2
Oil - 1 tbsp
1. Take the rice flour in a mixing bowl and add the Eggs to it and mix well.
2. Add Coconut, Sugar, Salt and Water to the rice flour and make a batter as thick as the Dosa / Pancake batter.
3. Chop the small onions into small pieces.
4. Heat a tawa / frying pan (at least an inch deep).
5. Pour 1/2 tbsp oil into the pan and add half the onions to this when the oil is hot enough.
6. Let the Onions slightly brown.
7. Pour half of the batter to this and ensure that the heat is at medium.
8. When the top of the mixture is almost set, turn it over (this would take 8-10 minutes).
9. Give the other side 5-6 minutes and take it out.
10. Repeat the same steps for the next one.
11. Sprinkle some sugar on top, if needed.
You could divide the batter into 3 portions and make 3 appams, if you want a slightly thinner version.
1 week ago