Saturday, February 6, 2010

Chana Masala / Chickpeas Curry

Chana Masala is a North Indian Dish, more popular in Punjab. The most popular accompaniment for this curry is Batura. Together Batura and Chana Masala duo is referred to as Chole Batture. Per Wiki, it is sold by roadside eateries in North - meaning North Indian Thattukadas :-) and is a heavy breakfast accompanied by the cooling 'n refreshing lassi. In Southern India, the most commonly used Chana is the Kala Chana and the preparation is slightly different as well. I am slightly biased towards the Chickpeas (White Chana), may be because they look more beautiful to my eyes. Anyways here is my version of the Chana Masala.



Oil- 2 tbsp
Onion- 1 (chopped)
Channa (Chickpeas)- 1 cup
Ginger Garlic paste- 1 tbsp
Tomato- 1
Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
Coriander Powder- 2 tsp
Chilly Powder- 1 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala- 1/2 tsp
Aamchur (Dried Mango powder)- 1/2 tsp
Cumin Powder- 1/4 tsp
Water- 2 1/2 cup

1. Soak the Channa overnight or for a minimum of 4 hours.
2. Heat oil in the pressure cooker and saute the onion till transparent.
3. Add Ginger Garlic paste and chopped tomatoes and saute for a couple of minutes.
4. Add the powders - Turmeric, Coriander, Chilly, Garam Masala, Cumin and Aamchur to this and saute for a couple of minutes.
5. Add the soaked chana and the water to this and mix well.
6. Close the pressure cooker and cook the chana until 2-3 whistles.

Wait for the pressure to go before you open the cooker. Your chana masala is ready to serve. You could garnish with some corriander leaves (I ran out of them). Even though the perfect accompaniment is Batura, it also goes well with Chapathi, Poori 'n Roti.

And now it is award time! Shahana of Me 'n My Apron has shared 3 beautiful awards with me. Thank you Shahana!




I would like to share these  3 awards with:

1. Namitha and Sunitha of Collaborative Curry
2. Cicily of Spices from the Queen of Arabian Sea
3. Aparna of Ladies Special Adukkala
4. Bharathy of Spicy Chilly


Cicily of  Spices from the Queen of Arabian Sea has shared 2 beautiful awards with me. Thank you Cicily!





I would like to share these 2 awards with:

1. Sarah of Vazhayila
2. Shahana of Me 'n My Apron
3. Rahin of Lazzat
4. Faiza Ali of Faiza Ali's Kitchen
6. Deepa and Tanu of Hamaree Rasoi
7. Aquadaze of Served with Love

20 comments:

  1. Congratulations on all your well deserved awards dear! Chickpeas curry is one of my fav...yumm yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Channa looks adipoli!!! I like curries with amchur powder...and chole bature...yumyyum...Congrats on all ur awards and thnx for passing it to me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. i never got this amchur powder..luks yummy dear.congrats on ur well deserved awards and thanks for sharing..:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chickpeas are my new favorite! I've been getting lots of those lately and storing them in my cabinet. I like to make soup or rice with it. :) This soup looks so yummy! And congrats on your award!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the award dear.....chickpeas looks great..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too make channa masala the same way..:) made 3 days back with bhatura and got over in a jiffy..:)..
    Lovely curry, here! :)
    Congrats on your well deserved awards..:) and tight Hugs for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Channa looks delicious..you got the perfect color..Congrats and thanks for thinking about us. Will update them soon :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooooh, Fathima, how very dear and thoughtful of you to think of me when distributing these awards. It means so much to me to be recognized and appreciated by one whom I hold dear in my heart and consider a treasured blogging friend. I come here and find such mouth watering and tempting recipes, I learn about your foods through your generous sharing of your recipes and experiences. Thanks can never be enough for one who gives with such love. But THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Indian food. I will be back to check more recipes.

    Nisrine

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your way of making chana is really easy! Congratulations on your awards, and I am very happy that you shared them with me :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I liked your blog very much. I appreciate for your wonderful presentation with mouth watering pictures. Chana masala looks delicious. Congrats.
    You are welcome in my blogs. Now I have become your follower so I will be visiting your blog hereafter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on all ur awards...looks like a lot of them! Chana masala looks yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on your award the chole looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulation on all your awards and thanks a lot for passing it to me.
    Deepa
    http://hamareerasoi.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats dear..Channa masala sounds yummy and mouthwatering...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats...channa masala looks yum and tempting..first time here..do visit me if you can..

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for visiting my blog. Good I came across yours that way. :)...You have nice recipes here. Will be visiting often. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats and wishing many more to come.:)channa masala looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. gud 2 c u making sum improvements!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails