This recipe is adapted from Medhaa's Aunty and Tarla Dalal.
|Resting Time for the Dough||- around 1/2 to 1 hr|
|Frying time for the Kachoris||- 20 mins for each batch|
|Soaking Time for Moog Daal||- around 1 hr|
|Cooking Time for Filling||- around 15 mins|
|Yields||- around 15|
For the Dough
|All purpose flour/Maida||- 2 cups|
|Oil/Ghee||- 1/4 cup|
|Salt||- 1/2 tsp|
|Water||- as needed for kneading|
- Mix the flour and salt and add the oil/ghee; mix till you get a bread crumbs texture.
- Slowly add water and make a soft dough. Knead well for about 8 minutes.
- Cover and keep aside to rest for at least half hour.
For the Filling
|Split Moong Dal (yellow)||- 1/2 cup|
|Cumin Seeds||- 1 tsp|
|Asafoetida||- a pinch|
|Curry Leaves||- 2 tsp chopped fine|
|Green Chilli - Ginger paste||- 1 tsp|
|Sauf / Fennel seeds powder||- 1 tsp|
|Garam Masala||- 1/2 tsp|
|Red Chilli powder||- 1/2 tsp|
|Mango powder/Amchur||- 1 tsp|
|Oil||- 1 tsp|
|Salt||- to taste|
1. Wash and Soak dal in water for atleast 1 hour. You can go up to 4 hours, not more.
2. Drain the water well.
3. Grind the dal to a coarsely. (Will resemble Idli Rawa)
4. Heat oil in a pan.
5. Add the hing and cumin seeds.
6. Once the seeds splutter add the curry leaves.
7. Add the dal.
8. Lower the heat and keep stirring for 5 minutes till the dal stops sticking to the pan.
9. Cook for another 10 minutes on low till the dal turns slightly brown.
10. Add all the masalas.
11. Cook for few minutes till the aroma of the spices hit you.
12. Add Salt.
13. Remove from heat and keep aside to cool.
Special Tips / Notes for the filling:
- The fillings have to be really dry if not when rolling they will ooze out when rolling.
- For idea on pressing the filled kachori, check out Manjula's method. If you try to press out using a rolling pin, the filling may come out and make holes in the kachori.
- Fry the kachori's on medium low to get a crisp outer layer, that is the key. For people using electric stove, the numbers can be going from 6 to 4.